Earlier this month, Hollywood was rocked by the sudden death of True Blood star Nelsan Ellis. In a video interview with the cast of The Gifted at Comic Con (see below) with Entertainment Tonight Stephen opens up about the show’s cast reactions to his death and that his wife, Anna Paquin is attending Ellis’ funeral.
Stephen says in the interview, “Anna is at the funeral at this exact second in Chicago, with a bunch of our gang. Yeah, it’s a really rough time.”
Additionally, Steve spoke about how he’d recently spoken to their other former co-star from the show, Deborah Ann Woll, and that the two discussed Ellis. “I saw her last night actually, and yeah, we talked about him. It’s tough,” he said.
Shortly after news broke of Ellis’ passing away from complications with heart failure, many of his True Blood co-stars reacted openly to his death.
- Anna Paquin, lovingly wrote, “It was an utter privilege to work with the phenomenally talented and deeply kind soul [Nelsan Ellis]. I’m devastated by his untimely death.”
- Stephen himself also initially commented, tweeting out, “Nelsan Ellis was truly remarkable. A brilliant, charismatic, intelligent, soulful, wonderful dude. this is just completely tragic.“
- One of the stars who spent quite a bit of screen time with Ellis on the show was Sam Trammell. His character, Sam Merlotte, owned the diner where Ellis’ character, Lafayette, worked. Trammell tweeted out, “I don’t know if I’ve ever seen the level of humility and kindness that came with the Magnificent Talent that Nelsan Ellis had. Miss u friend.”
- Before starring in Marvel’s Daredevil on Netflix, Deborah Ann Woll played the young vampire Jessica Hamby on True Blood. She sent out a short message, simply writing, “Heartbreaking.”
- Anna Camp is probably most well known for her role in the Pitch Perfect series, but before that she appeared in True Blood, playing religious zealot Sarah Newlin. Camp poured her heart out about her fallen co-star, saying, “My heart is broken today over the loss of [Nelsan Ellis] I was in complete awe of your talent and so honored to have known your kindness.”
- Ellis’ manager Emily Gerson Saines first shared the sad news of his death, saying, “Nelsan has passed away after complications with heart failure. He was a great talent, and his words and presence will be forever missed.”
Also, see our previous post that features the lovely and poetic tribute Stephen wrote about the death of his True Blood friend here.
WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW where Stephen talks about Nelsan Ellis at about 8 minutes in.